The Quest Times brings you a roundup of the trending news across Nigeria for the last Monday of August. These include Political, Sports, Entertainment and important news roundup to keep you updated on the happiness across the country.
Top 10 Trending News In Nigeria This Morning, August 28, 2023
- In an interview on Channels Television, Minister of Works Dave Umahi confidently declared that the roads he oversaw construction for in Ebonyi State are built to last, requiring no maintenance for an impressive half-century. Umahi, the former governor of Ebonyi State, stressed the significance of considering Nigeria’s climate conditions when developing roads. He insisted on maintaining high-quality standards throughout the construction process.
- Frodd and Tolanibaj were evicted from the Big Brother Naija All-Stars reality show on Sunday night. The announcement was made by the show’s host, Ebuka Obi-Uchendu. This marks the fifth eviction from the reality TV show.
- In a recent statement, the Nigerian Navy (NN) and Operation DELTA SAFE (OPDS) have responded to claims made by the alleged owner of Merchant Vessel (MV) Cecelia, who has accused the Navy of seizing and burning their vessel. The NN and OPDS clarified that MV Cecelia had been under scrutiny for suspected oil theft, leading to its arrest on August 15, 2023, with allegedly illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil (AGO) onboard.
- A 29-year-old South African, Erasmus Jean-Pierre, was arrested in Nigeria for attempting to smuggle 2.6kg of methamphetamine hidden in his luggage to Middle-East Asia. The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency thwarted a transnational cartel’s plan to send drugs cleverly concealed in slippers and a wooden drum to Indonesia.
- An unidentified suspected armed robber met his end while attempting to rob a resident, Victor, in Olugboso, Agege area of Lagos State. The suspect, armed with a toy gun, broke into Victor’s home at midnight, leading to his demise.
- Tragedy struck in Nkwelle Awka, Anambra State, as two children aged four and seven lost their lives in separate flood incidents. The children lost their lives while near the floodplains engaged in activities.
- Darwin Nunez scored twice to help Liverpool pull off a remarkable late turnaround to beat Newcastle 2-1 at St James’ Park on Sunday afternoon. Also, Barcelona prevailed in a seven-goal thriller away at Villarreal, with Robert Lewandowski scoring his first goal of the season to earn them the points.
- Edo State Deputy Governor, Philip Shaibu, reiterated his loyalty to Governor Godwin Obaseki amidst recent tensions. Shaibu emphasized that their bond goes beyond personal aspirations, affirming their strong relationship during Edo State’s 32nd-anniversary celebration.
- Atiku Abubakar, the 2023 Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), continues to question President Bola Tinubu’s academic records. Atiku remarked on the ongoing confusion about the authenticity of Tinubu’s degree from Chicago State University in the United States.
- Harry Kane continued his brilliant start to life as a Bayern Munich player by scoring twice on his first home start in a 3-1 win over Augsburg at Allianz Arena. Also, Manchester City came out narrow winners over Sheffield United, with Erling Haaland making up for a missed penalty by scoring before Jayden Bogle equalised for the hosts and Rodri netted a late City winner.